MoveUP monitoring COVID-19 situation; Information on scheduled events
As health agencies provincially, federally, and around the world work to contain the COVID-19 virus (also referred to as the coronavirus), our union is actively monitoring information that comes from the various agencies to ensure the safety of our members and staff.
As per the BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC), the risk for Canadians continues to be low. However, the number of cases worldwide is changing and there have been more confirmed cases in B.C.
All of our members and staff are urged to follow the guidelines set out by the BCCDC, including the following:
- Those who are arriving in Canada from Hubei Province, China or Iran are asked to self-isolate for 14 days and monitor closely for symptoms or illness. If any symptoms arise, connect with your primary care provider, local public health office or call 8-1-1.
- If you have been in close contact with someone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19 by laboratory testing, stay home or self-isolate alone for 14 days after your last encounter. You should monitor daily for symptoms (fever, cough, muscle aches, and difficulty breathing).
- If you have any symptoms at all of a cold or influenza, even if they’re mild, stay away from others.
- If you have been to areas, particularly where we know there has been transmission of COVID-19, then call your health care provider, call 8-1-1, or call public health.
- Always tell health care providers about recent travel if you become ill after returning to Canada. Canada has active COVID-19 travel advisories for: China, Hong Kong, Iran, Japan, Italy, Singapore, and South Korea.
For more information on the Novel coronavirus (COVID-19), please go to the BCCDC website.
To avoid the spread of infection, you should follow these guidelines:
- Stay home if you are sick.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then immediately throw the tissue in the garbage.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
Upcoming MoveUP events:
Our union will monitor events on a case-by-case basis and will communicate to our members if the need arises to postpone or cancel an event. This includes activities including, but not limited to, meetings with members and/or job stewards, Executive Board or Council meetings, committee meetings, and social events.