Job Posting: Communications Director (Full Time Regular)
December 19, 2017
APPLICATIONS ARE HEREWITH INVITED FOR:
POSITION: Communications Director (Full Time Regular)
Salary and benefits will be in accordance with the MoveUP/USW2009 collective agreement. Additionally, a condition of employment is to supply your own vehicle, also in accordance with the collective agreement. Some occasional travel within B.C. and Canada may be needed, as required.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES/CRITICAL TASKS:
The Communications Director will play a lead role in developing and implementing MoveUP’s communication strategies, both internally and externally, and public relations activities. The ideal candidate will have strong creative, strategic and analytical skills and is able to manage a variety of projects at one time. Experience leading a team and managing in a unionized work environment is an asset.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Ability to develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to broaden awareness and to strengthen MoveUP’s identity across a variety of audiences.
• Identify gaps, challenges, and emerging issues and work with Leadership to recognize internal and external communication opportunities and solutions, and help to define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
• Liaise with other unions, media and elected officials on behalf of MoveUP.
• Be able to help manage, and support issues and crisis communications, as needed.
• Supervise and lead a communications department.
• Write, edit and produce a wide variety of communications, including bulletins, letters, newsletters, interviews, reports, memos, speeches, talking points, articles, advertising copy, media releases and advisories, opinion editorials, and social media posts.
Public and Media Relations
• Pitch stories and handle any incoming media requests.
• Create strategic messages to best frame the Union’s issues.
• Support and coach the Union’s elected leaders and members to deliver strategic messages.
• Oversee daily media monitoring, including the creation of a digest highlighting stories of interest to MoveUP’s members.
Graphic and Digital Design
• Design leaflets, images and social media shareables.
• Produce print publications either on own, or in conjunction with an external graphic designer.
• Help to maintain the Union’s website by planning, and updating web pages, and working with the Communications Officer and other staff to produce web content, and liaising with a web developer and web host.
• Maintain and augment the Union’s presence on social media to increase the overall profile of MoveUP to its members and the public.
• Monitor emerging digital tools to see how they can be incorporated into current and future
Event and Volunteer Management
• Organize campaign events and attend all types of events, when needed.
• Contact, supervise, and coordinate campaign member volunteers.
• Support the Union’s Leadership at public events.
• Attend and present at all functions, as required.
• Manage special projects, as needed.
• Oversee expenditures, and adhere to budgets and other related administrative tasks, such as purchase orders, and cheque requisitions.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Strong communications leadership background, with a proven track record in the ability to educate and influence key stakeholders in communications, change, and public relations. Labour or social justice background, campaigns experience, as well as political networking is an asset.
• Proven ability to work cooperatively with volunteers, multicultural communities, LGBTQ2+ communities, union members, politicians, union leaders, non-profits and community groups on a range of issues.
• College or university degree/diploma in communications, journalism, English, or related discipline or an equivalent combination of training and experience preferred.
• Excellent project management, and multitasking skills, including time management, organizing, and scheduling.
• Demonstrated superior oral and written communication skills, and excellent interpersonal communication skills that are clearly evident both in person and over the phone.
• Have demonstrated ability to be proactive and self-starting and work in a team based environment.
• Ability to take direction and work under pressure.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, especially Photoshop and InDesign. Experience with Canva is a plus. Basic HTML coding skills an asset.
• Being able to immediately assume most of the above duties is a definite asset.
• Demonstrated interest and/or participation in trade union activities essential.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a creative and vibrant office environment. We offer a competitive salary, and excellent benefits.
We are supportive of workforce diversity and encourage applications from all qualiﬁed individuals.
If you are interested in this rewarding opportunity and to become part of the MoveUP team, please send your application directly to Ram Atwal in Human Resources at email@example.com by January 2, 2018.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Due to the large volume of applications we receive, only those shortlisted will be contacted for an interview.
Director, Human Resources and Organizational Development