Email Exchange Between Office of Premier and Andy Ross re: Basi-Virk Scandal
October 28, 2010
From: Andy Ross
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 9:27 AM
To: Office of the Premier
Cc: James, Carole MLA
Subject: BC Rail Scandal
To: The Honourable Gordon Campbell, Premier of British Columbia
Please be aware that the Council of the Canadian Office and Professional Employees Union, Local 378 (MoveUP) voted unanimously on a resolution demanding your government call an inquiry into the of BC Rail scandal. An inquiry is desperately needed to answer the stunning breadth of open-ended questions which directly impact the public good. We will be bringing this resolution forward to the BC Federation of Labour, asking them to support our motion.
The full resolution is below:
Because the BC Rail scandal has created many questions that have not been answered, namely:
- Were David Basi and Bob Virk acting under instructions from the BC Liberal Government as they said?
- Did the Liberal Party of BC or Liberal MLAs receive any kickbacks that have not been disclosed?
- Who authorized the plea bargain deal with David Basi and Bob Virk? Were Liberal Cabinet Ministers and/or Gordon Campbell involved?
- Which Cabinet Ministers authorized, against government policy, the indemnification of David Basi and Bob Virk’s legal bills?
- Why was the decision made not to try and recover costs from David Basi and Bob Virk despite the fact that government already held some of their assets?
Therefore be it resolved that MoveUP demand that the BC Government call an inquiry into this matter so that the public interest can be served and all information be made public around this scandal.
Therefore be it further resolved that the BC Federation of Labour support this call for an inquiry into the BC Rail scandal.
MoveUP’s Council is a 140 member body responsible and reporting to all 14,000 of MoveUP’s members, and the governing body of our union.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
From: Office of the Premier
Sent: October-27-10 3:59 PM
To: Andy Ross
Cc: Minister, AG
Subject: RE: BC Rail Scandal
Thank you for your email. Your position on this matter has been noted and will be shared with the Attorney General. With regard to the question about the costs, we would like to refer you to the statement (click here to view) made by the Deputy Attorney General, Mr. Loukidelis, which is herewith attached.
Again, thank you for writing.