Job Posting: Senior Union Representative
January 7, 2016
Applications are herewith invited for:
Position: Senior Union Representative (Full Time Regular)
Salary: $3620.85 bi-weekly
Salary and benefits will be in accordance with the MoveUP/USW2009 collective agreement. Additionally, a condition of employment is to supply your own vehicle, also in accordance with the collective agreement. Some occasional travel within B.C. and Canada may be needed, as required.
Primary Responsibilities/Critical Tasks:
The Senior Union Representative plays a key role in the day-to-day operations, growth and execution of the union’s strategies and membership activities. The ideal candidate will have strong creative, strategic and analytical skills with sound political judgment and is able to manage a number of different projects at one time.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Providing hands-on leadership in the form of detailed supervision to assigned staff, conducting quality control checks, coaching and training, performance assessments, scheduling and assignment of work, as well as providing strategic advice and recommendations to determine development areas for staff and the organization.
- Maintaining positive working relationships with local officers, members in assigned areas, and other work leaders. This assignment will also include working with Executive Board members, Councillors and Stewards.
- As required, act as a chief spokesperson, for various certifications, and working with elected bargaining committees to research and develop bargaining proposals.
- Be able to research, argue, and present Stage II and III grievances, arbitration cases, and cases at Labour Board hearings, Human Rights Commission, and other labour relations duties.
- Be able to interpret, administer, and enforce collective agreements.
- Establish contacts with unorganized offices and professional groups, and independent unions, especially in the private sector who wish to affiliate with MoveUP, and will work with the organizing department to campaign for certification.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Extensive previous Union Representative/spokesperson experience essential, as well as experience in researching, presenting, and arguing grievances up to and including arbitrations.
- Labour background, with a proven track record at the bargaining table, and be able to immediately assume the above duties.
- Previous supervisory experience, with the ability to lead, coach and mentor.
- College or university degree/diploma in Labour Economics, Labour Relations, Personnel Administration, Commerce, or related discipline, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Experience and knowledge of labour law.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, and Excel.
- Excellent project management skills including time management, organizing, and scheduling.
- Ability to multi-task, with a strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated superior oral and written communication skills.
- Have demonstrated ability to be proactive and self-starting, as well as the ability to work with a team.
- Ability to give and take direction, and work under pressure.
- Demonstrated interest and/or participation in trade union activities essential.
- Job evaluation experience is an asset.
- Previous experience with UnionWare is an asset.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a creative and vibrant office environment. We offer a competitive salary, and excellent benefits.
We are supportive of workforce diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
If you are interested in this rewarding opportunity and to become part of the MoveUP team, please send your application directly to Ram Atwal in Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org by January 21, 2016.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Due to the large volume of applications we receive, only those shortlisted will be contacted for an interview.
Director, Human Resources and Organizational Development