Join us for a summer of supporting PRIDE
July 7, 2020
To: All MoveUP Members
The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has required us to come up with innovative ways to approach many events that we used to participate in-person, and that is the case this season as our Human Rights & Multicultural Committee approaches Pride.
Pride is a celebration, but it is also an opportunity for us to learn and come together to support one another. Since there will be no parades this year across our province for Pride, we wanted to created a platform where we can join to share ideas, links, artwork, songs, articles – anything that will help us unite and celebrate Pride in this new era.
We are currently looking for MoveUP members that self-identify under the LGBTQ2S+ umbrella, as well as supporters and allies of all backgrounds, to join us on our MoveUP Supports Pride 2020 Facebook group.
We will be using this group to generate different ideas and a gathering zone to celebrate Pride. Some of the things we are looking forward to potentially doing include:
- Hosting a virtual watch part of an LGBTQ2S+ film that will highlight the struggles of the community.
- Conducting a virtual webinar featuring guest speakers to educate our membership.
- Sharing photos and videos of how you celebrated Pride and decorated your home.
- Sharing stories on how COVID-19 has affected you, and how you are dealing with the new normal. We believe self-care, as well as community support, is incredibly important when we are struggling.
- Having positive discussions on many issues, such as how we can help lift up the trans community or the importance of pronoun usage.
We encourage all our members to start showing their Pride on our Facebook group. Please feel free to post videos, pictures of how you and your loved ones are expressing your Pride this season. This could be :
- Decorating your homes, patios, and yards.
- Showcase your favorite Pride outfit
- Give us a makeup tutorial
- Shows us your dance moves
- Sing your favourite anthem
- Share your writing or poems or other pieces of art
- Tell us what Pride means to you
- Give us a history lesson and what we need to remember at Pride
We plan to showcase a collection of these videos and photos on our website and Facebook group, so bring what you have and let’s remember to have Pride in ourselves and Pride in our community.
Christy Slusarenko & Gunter Seifert
Co-chairs, Human Rights & Multicultural Committee