MoveUP Job Posting: Union Representative 2 – Full Time Regular
August 28, 2019
To: All MoveUP Job Stewards, Executive Councillors and Distributors - Please Post and Distribute
APPLICATIONS ARE HEREWITH INVITED FOR:
POSITION: Union Representative 2 – Full Time Regular
Salary and benefits will be in accordance with the MoveUP/USW2009 collective agreement. Additionally, a condition of employment is to supply your own vehicle, also in accordance with the collective agreement. Some occasional travel within B.C. and Canada may be needed, as required.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES/CRITICAL TASKS:
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Interprets, administers and enforces collective agreements.
- Acts as spokesperson at negotiations for many different certifications that the Union holds and works with elected bargaining committees to research and develop bargaining proposals.
- Researches, argues and presents Stage II & III grievances, arbitration cases and cases at Labour Board hearings and other labour relations duties.
- Researches and takes forward job evaluation appeals.
- Researches and takes forward WCB appeals.
- Maintains good relationship with local officers and members in assigned areas. The assignment will include working with Executive Board members, Councillors and Stewards.
- Develops and works with employee committees within these units to campaign for certification by canvassing employees at home and away from the workplace about union membership.
- Mobilize workers and coordinate organizing meetings, actions and other activities.
- Establish contacts with unorganized office and professional groups and independent unions, especially in the private sector who wish to affiliate with the MoveUP.
- Able to train and assess worker union support and leadership potential for future growth.
- Other duties as required.
- Extensive previous Union Representative/Spokesperson experience essential, as well as experience in researching, presenting and arguing grievances up to and including arbitration. Job evaluation experience and experience working with other unions/labour organizations would be an asset.
- Proven track record at the bargaining table and be immediately able to immediately assume the above duties.
- College or University degree/diploma in Labour Economics, Labour Relations, Personnel Administration, Commerce, or related Social Sciences or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Good time management, scheduling and organizational skills.
- Be able to multi-task with a strong attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills that are clearly evident both in person and over the phone
- Have demonstrated ability to be proactive and self-starting and work in a team-based environment
- Ability to take direction and work under pressure
- Demonstrated interest and/or participation in trade union activities essential
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a creative and vibrant office environment. We offer a competitive salary, and excellent benefits.
We are supportive of workforce diversity and encourage applications from all qualiﬁed individuals.
If you are interested in this rewarding opportunity and to become part of the MoveUP team, please send your application directly to Ram Atwal in Human Resources at email@example.com by September 11, 2019.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Due to the large volume of applications we receive, only those shortlisted will be contacted for an interview.
Director, Human Resources and Organizational Development
MoveUP represents more than 12,000 union members at public and private sector companies in Western Canada.
We are Local 378 of the Canadian Office and Professional Employees Union (COPE/SEPB), which represents over 30,000 members, and we are affiliated with the BC Federation of Labour, the Canadian Labour Congress, and provincial labour councils. We are also affiliated with UNI Global Union and IndustriALL Global Union through our national union. For more information, please visit www.moveuptogether.ca.
MoveUP unites professionals to champion and advance the rights, dignity, and respect of all workers.
By organizing and mobilizing workers to strengthen their rights and pursue social justice, MoveUP is the union of choice.
As a progressive union, we provide a supportive and respectful workplace that enables the best performance of each staff member so that together we can:
- Activate our members
- Protect workers
- Promote solidarity
- Build a more just society
- Remove barriers to inclusivity