MoveUP Job Posting – Organizer 2 – Full Time, Regular
November 21, 2023
To: All MoveUP Job Stewards, Executive Councillors and Distributors - Please Post and Distribute
APPLICATIONS ARE HEREWITH INVITED FOR:
POSITION: Organizer 2 – Full Time, Regular
SALARY: $4,916.33 bi-weekly
Salary, benefits, and other additional compensation premiums are in accordance with the MoveUP/USW2009 collective agreement.
Additionally, a condition of employment is to supply your own vehicle, also in accordance with the collective agreement. Some occasional travel within B.C. and Canada may be needed, as required.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES/CRITICAL TASKS:
The following are key operational duties, but are not limited to these functions:
- Co-ordinate organizing drives and issue-oriented campaigns
- Research potential targets for organizing
- Follow up on all organizing leads
- Meet with prospective members
- Obtain signed membership cards
- Draft bulletins that communicate and promote the Local’s vision, mission, and values
- Represent the Local in Labour Relations Board processes relating to organizing
- Prepare and participate in meetings, demonstrations, and rallies
- Mobilize workers and coordinate actions
- Handle media inquiries with assistance with the Communications Office
- Train and assess worker union support and leadership potential for future growth
- with minimal assistance, including acquiring and motivating committee members
- Be able to work in a team of other organizers involved in campaigns
- Gather, analyze and present information to potential members and Union officers.
- Represent the organization at personnel related hearings, investigations, and in resolution of employee related matters.
- Other duties as assigned
- Extensive previous union organizing experience essential.
- College or University degree/diploma in Labour Economics, Labour Relations, Personnel Administration, Commerce, or related Social Sciences or an equivalent combination of training and experience preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, and Excel.
- Good time management, scheduling and organizational skills.
- Be self-directing with a strong attention to detail.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills that are clearly evident both in person and over the phone, including a demonstrated ability to recruit and motivate volunteers
- Demonstrated ability to be proactive and self-starting and work in a team-based environment.
- Ability to track, compile, and analyze campaign data, continuously assess progress and develop plans on how to overcome barriers
- Knowledge of the law of organizing in BC and the procedures of the Labour Relations Board
- Have working knowledge and capacity to learn collective bargaining, grievance handling and hearings
- Ability to take direction and work under pressure.
- Experience with case-management and document-management software, preferably UnionWare and Laserfiche.
- Demonstrated interest and/or participation in trade union activities essential
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a creative and vibrant office environment. We offer a competitive salary, and excellent benefits.
We value workforce diversity and encourage applications from all qualiﬁed individuals.
If you are interested in this rewarding opportunity and to become part of the MoveUP team, please send your application directly to Ram Atwal in Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org by November 28, 2023.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Due to the large volume of applications we receive, only those shortlisted will be contacted for an interview.
Director, Human Resources and Organizational Development
MoveUP represents more than 12,000 union members at public and private sector companies in Western Canada.
We are Local 378 of the Canadian Office and Professional Employees Union (COPE/SEPB), which represents over 30,000 members, and we are affiliated with the BC Federation of Labour, the Canadian Labour Congress, and provincial labour councils. We are also affiliated with UNI Global Union and IndustriALL Global Union through our national union. For more information, please visit www.moveuptogether.ca.
MoveUP unites professionals to champion and advance the rights, dignity, and respect of all workers.
By organizing and mobilizing workers to strengthen their rights and pursue social justice, MoveUP is the union of choice.
As a progressive union, we provide a supportive and respectful workplace that enables the best performance of each staff member so that together we can:
- Activate our members
- Protect workers
- Promote solidarity
- Build a more just society
- Remove barriers to inclusivity