MoveUP Job Posting – Director, Operations – Full Time Temporary
July 14, 2021
To: All MoveUP members
APPLICATIONS ARE HEREWITH INVITED FOR:
POSITION: Director, Operations – Full Time Temporary (July 2021 – Sept 15, 2021, with possibility of extension)
Reporting to the President, the Director, Operations will be primarily responsible for directing and managing the work of the Union Representative Component. The successful incumbent will play a key role in the day-to-day operations, and growth, and membership activities, and must have strong creative, and analytical skills with sound political judgment and is able to manage many different projects at one time.
This internal support position is to help identify opportunities, increase efficiency and productivity while working with other departments to ensure fundamental support functions are upheld.
PRIMARY Duties and Responsibilities/critical tasks:
- Management of employees in the Union Representative Component, which includes Senior Union Representatives, Union Representatives, Grievance/Arbitration Representative, Organizers, and WCB Appeals Representative. This includes, but is not limited to direct supervision, mentoring/coaching, orientation, professional development, training, quality control, scheduling, assignment of work, performance assessments, in consultation with the President or their delegate(s).
- Working closely with Human Resources to administer and apply the collective agreement between MoveUP and USW and bring forward issues that may require follow up.
- In consultation with Human Resources, assists with the hiring process for open positions, succession planning, and sourcing new talent, as directed by the President or their delegate(s), and the Staff Relations Committee.
- Provides direction and leadership, pertaining to membership activities such as:
- maintaining positive, good working relationships with local officers and members in assigned areas, including interactions with Executive Board members, Councillors and Stewards;
- preparation for and presentation of grievances, arbitrations, and other hearings;
- overseeing and providing direction to chief spokespersons for collective bargaining, and assisting, as needed with elected bargaining committees;
- interpreting, administering, and enforcing collective agreements;
- organizing and;
- the servicing of MoveUP’s membership.
- Stays on top of emerging trends in the labour movement in order understand and build upon best practices and advocate for/drive their implementation.
- Generates regular reports for the President or their delegate(s), as directed.
- Other duties as assigned by the President or their delegate(s).
- Must have previous demonstrated leadership and management/supervisory experience in a unionized environment, which includes providing direction to staff, and working effectively and collegially with other management, staff, and officers in the workplace.
- Must also have previous experience in project management, and change management, and be able to make recommendations for organizational effectiveness and efficiency.
- Excellent managerial, communication, interpersonal, conflict resolution, and organizational skills.
- Previous experience as a union representative or spokesperson, and experience in grievance handling, arbitrations or other hearings, advocacy, mediation, and collective bargaining.
- Good working knowledge of labour relations, and employment law and practice.
- College or university degree/diploma in Management, Labour Economics, Labour Relations, Human Resources, Personnel Administration, Commerce, or related discipline, or an equivalent combination of training and experience. A recognized management certificate or similar designation is considered an asset but is not required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, and Excel.
- Excellent project management skills including time management, organizing, and scheduling.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills that is clearly evident both in person and over the phone.
- Ability to multi-task, with a strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated superior oral and written communication skills.
- Have demonstrated ability to be proactive and self-starting, as well as the ability to work with a team.
- Ability to give and take direction, and work under pressure.
- Demonstrated interest and/or participation in trade union activities essential.
- Previous experience with UnionWare is an asset.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a creative and vibrant office environment. We offer a competitive salary, and excellent benefits.
We are supportive of workforce diversity and encourage applications from all qualiﬁed individuals.
If you are interested in this rewarding opportunity and to become part of the MoveUP team, please send your application directly to Ram Atwal in Human Resources at email@example.com by July 21, 2021.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Due to the large volume of applications we receive, only those shortlisted will be contacted for an interview.
Director, Human Resources and Organizational Development
MoveUP represents more than 12,000 union members at public and private sector companies in Western Canada.
We are Local 378 of the Canadian Office and Professional Employees Union (COPE/SEPB), which represents over 30,000 members, and we are affiliated with the BC Federation of Labour, the Canadian Labour Congress, and provincial labour councils. We are also affiliated with UNI Global Union and IndustriALL Global Union through our national union. For more information, please visit www.moveuptogether.ca.
MoveUP unites professionals to champion and advance the rights, dignity, and respect of all workers.
By organizing and mobilizing workers to strengthen their rights and pursue social justice, MoveUP is the union of choice.
As a progressive union, we provide a supportive and respectful workplace that enables the best performance of each staff member so that together we can:
- Activate our members
- Protect workers
- Promote solidarity
- Build a more just society
- Remove barriers to inclusivity