MoveUP Job Posting – Campaign and Communications Assistant – Full-Time Temporary (Aug 2021 – Oct 29, 2021)
August 18, 2021
To: All MoveUP Job Stewards, Executive Councillors and Distributors - Please Post and Distribute
APPLICATIONS ARE HEREWITH INVITED FOR:
POSITION: Campaign and Communications Assistant – Full-Time Temporary (Aug 2021 – Oct 29, 2021)
SALARY: $3,201 bi-weekly
HOURS OF WORK: 8:30am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday
Salary and benefits will be in accordance with the MoveUP/USW2009 collective agreement.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES/CRITICAL TASKS:
The following are key operational duties, but are not limited to these functions:
- Write, edit and produce a wide variety of communications, including bulletins, letters, newsletters, interviews, reports, the Local Voice, media releases, PowerPoint or other presentation formats as well as writing, editing and posting social media posts.
- Assist with planning, writing, editing and publishing website content including photos, graphics, documents, written content, as well as liaise and problem solve with external website company (web developer and web host) when there are problems or to avoid problems with the website.
- Assist other MoveUP staff when they are experiencing problems such as dealing with the website, sending bulletins or using surveys and other areas as needed.
- Assist with daily media monitoring, including highlighting key stories of interest to MoveUP’s staff and members.
- Assist with the design and production of materials as needed.
- Write, edit and produce content for events and conferences including, but not limited to, committee and other reports, presentations, delegate engagement, newsletters, display items, posters or leaflets and other convention duties as assigned.
- Assist with web streaming of content at events and conferences including posting and archiving recorded content as well as assisting with the convention app.
- Monitor emerging digital tools to see how they can be incorporated into current and future.
- Assist in organizing events and attend events where needed (venues, program, publicity, invitees, direct support) as well as assist with engaging members and assist in presentations at events.
- Assist with overseeing expenditures, and adhere to budgets and other related administrative tasks, such as purchase orders, and cheque requisitions.
- Manage special projects, planning and organizing as needed.
- Other duties as required.
- Demonstrated previous experience with communications and campaigns. A background in labour or social justice, campaigns experience, as well as political networking is an asset.
- Experience with design (digital and print) is required, and experience assisting with video or audio production is an asset.
- Experience with editing documents as well as editing, creating and presenting reports and knowledge of PowerPoint presentations.
- Experience managing social media channels (including planning, writing, designing and publishing content) as well as past experience updating web content using WordPress.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, especially Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, or a willingness to learn. Experience with Canva is a plus.
- Past experience working cooperatively with diverse communities. Ideally experience working with union members, racialized and indigenous communities, LGBTQ2+ communities, politicians, union leaders, non-profits and community groups on a range of issues.
- Previous experience with project and event management.
- Ideally past experience or formal training in communications.
- Have demonstrated ability to be proactive and self-starting and work in a team-based environment, and be able to provide support to other communications staff, as needed.
- Ability to take direction and work under pressure at times to meet strict deadlines.
- Good time management, scheduling and organizational skills.
- Be able to multi-task with a strong attention to detail.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills that is clearly evident both in person and over the phone.
- Be able to speak using clear, professional language and answer the telephone using appropriate telephone etiquette.
- Experience and knowledge of UnionWare is an asset.
- Demonstrated interest and/or participation in trade union activities essential.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a creative and vibrant office environment. We offer a competitive salary, and excellent benefits.
We value workforce diversity and encourage applications from all qualiﬁed individuals.
If you are interested in this rewarding opportunity and to become part of the MoveUP team, please send your application directly to Ram Atwal in Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org by August 25, 2021.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Due to the large volume of applications we receive, only those shortlisted will be contacted for an interview.
Director, Human Resources and Organizational Development
MoveUP represents more than 12,000 union members at public and private sector companies in Western Canada.
We are Local 378 of the Canadian Office and Professional Employees Union (COPE/SEPB), which represents over 30,000 members, and we are affiliated with the BC Federation of Labour, the Canadian Labour Congress, and provincial labour councils. We are also affiliated with UNI Global Union and IndustriALL Global Union through our national union. For more information, please visit www.moveuptogether.ca.
MoveUP unites professionals to champion and advance the rights, dignity, and respect of all workers.
By organizing and mobilizing workers to strengthen their rights and pursue social justice, MoveUP is the union of choice.
As a progressive union, we provide a supportive and respectful workplace that enables the best performance of each staff member so that together we can:
- Activate our members
- Protect workers
- Promote solidarity
- Build a more just society
- Remove barriers to inclusivity