Diversity & Inclusion – Breaking Barriers
November 18, 2022
To: MoveUP Members
The need for diversity and inclusion has been brought to the forefront in our communities over the last few years. At MoveUP, we have also questioned what are the barriers that currently exist for members to become leaders of our union. In order for us to fully understand the barriers that exist, and what they are, it is important to hear from you, our members.
MoveUP is committed to doing the work needed to ensure that our leadership is reflective of our diverse membership. Last year, Bakau Consulting conducted an audit of MoveUP’s governance and structure. They provided us with a number of recommendations that we are currently reviewing and incorporating into our practices and procedures. Also, as part of the audit, Bakau conducted a survey of our job stewards, councillors, and board members and identified areas where more work was needed and where challenges existed.
As part of our commitment to EDI education, we will be holding three workshops hosted by our EDI consultants, Bakau. Based on feedback from MoveUP members, we will be hosting the same three workshops we held before. This year, we will hold two sessions of each workshop – one will be held during the day and one in the evening to help increase accessibility for members. A leave of absence to attend will also be available to those who request it. In addition, all are welcome to attend and there will be no compulsory/pre-requisite to participate in these workshops. The three workshops this year include:
- Fundamentals of Anti-Racism
- November 29, 2022 at 11:00am https://bakauconsulting.zoom.us/j/88365617514?pwd=MDNLc0wwci9tcWprb3A4N2NvSUFMQT09
- November 30, 2022 at 6:00pm https://bakauconsulting.zoom.us/j/85658017674?pwd=b20wcmlreXFCRkVmbTJqbExrKzgydz09
- Fundamentals of Anti-Oppression
- December 1, 2022 at 11:00am https://bakauconsulting.zoom.us/j/83508414379?pwd=bFlrbzEyNkNQSVBsUVUrQ2JTVzJadz09
- December 6, 2022 at 6:00 pm https://bakauconsulting.zoom.us/j/88653118162?pwd=c0U1Mi94QlRNSmR0YlBlYWsvSFVxZz09
- Disrupting Unconscious Bias
- December 7, 2022 at 11:00am https://bakauconsulting.zoom.us/j/84973141228?pwd=M3U3b1B5eDgwaFBBdldxeC9uRlFGQT09
- December 8, 2022 at 6:00pm https://bakauconsulting.zoom.us/j/85294857172?pwd=RXYrR2U1RXkvOHVvZmI4ZThrVFlhZz09
Please note that there is a different link for each date/time. Each workshop will be approximately 2 hours long and will be hosted online to make it easier for all members to join in. Requests for a leave of absence should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We encourage you to participate in these workshops so that we can continue this very important work.