Yellow Cabs Bargaining Update & Important Survey re Proposed Work Schedule
March 7, 2023
To: MoveUP Members at Yellow Cabs
Your union met with the employer on March 2 and 6, 2023, and the parties have achieved agreement on the majority of non-monetary proposals. Your bargaining committee facilitated a virtual membership meeting as well as spoke with individuals, who were scheduled to work yesterday, about introducing a four day on, four day off schedule. Because some of you experienced scheduling conflicts yesterday, we have decided to explain the employer’s shift schedule proposal and ask you to complete a survey after reading this bulletin.
We want to emphasize that, although the parties have not signed off on all monetary proposals, the employer is committed to ensure that bargaining unit members will not experience adverse financial impact as a result of this shift schedule. Your bargaining team has no intention of agreeing to this proposal until we have the opportunity to review and exchange counter proposals on monetary proposals.
|Present Day||Proposed 4 Day On, 4 Day Off Schedule|
|Work Week||40 Hours||35 Hours|
|Daily Hours Worked||8.5 Hours||8.75 Hours|
- Our bargaining unit members will have longer relief between their four days on. As a result, it will enable members to have more time to focus on their physical well-being, mental well-being and (family) obligations.
- Our bargaining unit members’ schedule is stable and predictable.
- The employer is committed to employ more bargaining unit members for its eighteen full time shifts. This will prevent any bargaining unit members from working two shifts consecutively and maintain a steadier workforce.
- Our bargaining unit members may be able to secure a secondary gainful employment or pursue advanced education/training.
- Instead of an eight-hour workday, bargaining unit members will work a longer workday. The exception is accommodations under the Human Rights Act.
Please complete the survey by Friday, March 10, 2023. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Anny Chen, Union Representative