Know Your Rights: Work-Related Illness or Injuries

August 15, 2014

To: All MoveUP Members at Capilano University

If you are injured or become ill

If you are injured or become ill, and you or your doctor believes the injury/illness is related to your work, you, your employer and your doctor are required to complete WCB forms. If you have seen an Occupational First Aid Attendant at work they will be required to complete a form as well.

Under most circumstances the employer must investigate the injury/illness with the assistance of a joint health and safety committee member.

Why you need to report

If you do not report an injury or near miss you or your coworkers may not get the benefits you should be entitled to under the Workers’ Compensation Act. The employer cannot punish you for filing a WCB claim or discriminate against you for reporting unsafe working conditions to the WCB.

If you feel your working conditions are not safe

If you feel the conditions of your workplace are unsafe you should follow the WCB OHS Regulation, section 3.12 and both report to your employer, and contact the MoveUP Occupational Health and Safety Co-ordinator Steve Milne immediately: smilne@moveuptogether.ca, 604-299-0378/1-800-665-6838 (toll-free)

Click here to download a printable .pdf version of this information. For more information about your rights at work at CapU, check out the other printable member guides available on the MoveUP website.

Karen Rockwell
Union Representative

File Number: 14-CAPU-Know Your Rights-Work Related Illness or Injuries-Aug 15
Union Label: /LJ: USW2009


Attached files:

No documents

Close Menu