Job Posting: Union Representative 2 (FTR)
Applications are herewith invited for:
Position: Union Representative 2 (Full-Time Regular)
Salary: $3,191.00 bi-weekly
Salary and benefits will be in accordance with the MoveUP/USW2009 collective agreement. Additionally, a condition of employment is to supply your own vehicle, also in accordance with the collective agreement. Some occasional travel within B.C. and Canada may be needed, as required.
If there are no qualified applicants to fill the position, MoveUP may consider applications for a Union Representative 1 position.
Primary duties and responsibilities/critical tasks
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Acts as spokesperson at negotiations for a number of different certifications that the union holds and works with elected bargaining committees to research and develop bargaining proposals.
- Researches, argues and presents Stage II & III grievances, arbitration cases and cases at Labour Board hearings and other labour relations duties.
- Interprets, administers and enforces collective agreements.
- Researches and takes forward job evaluation appeals.
- Researches and takes forward WCB appeals.
- Maintains good relationship with local officers and members in assigned areas. The assignment will include working with MoveUP's executive board members, councillors and stewards.
- Establish contacts with unorganized office and professional groups and independent unions, especially in the private sector who wish to affiliate with MoveUP.
- Develop and work with employee committees within these units to campaign for certification by canvassing employees at home and away from the workplace about union membership.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Extensive previous Union Representative/Spokesperson experience is essential. Experience in researching, presenting and arguing grievances at the advance stage, arbitration dispute resolution, presenting at arbitration is essential.
- Job evaluation experience and experience working with other unions/labour organizations would be an asset.
- Proven track record at the bargaining table. Experience leading and being a lead spokesperson in multiple rounds of bargaining is preferred.
- College or university degree/diploma in Labour Economics, Labour Relations, Personnel Administration, Commerce, or related Social Sciences or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Good time management, scheduling and organizational skills.
- The ability to multi-task and a strong attention to detail.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills that is clearly evident both in person and over the phone.
- Have demonstrated ability to be proactive and self-starting and work in a team based environment.
- Ability to take direction and work under pressure.
- Demonstrated interest and/or participation in trade union activities essential.
This is an opportunity to work with highly motivated colleagues in a creative and vibrant office environment. We offer a competitive salary, and excellent benefits.
We are supportive of workforce diversity and encourage applications from all qualiﬁed individuals.
If you are interested in this rewarding opportunity and to become part of the MoveUP team, please send your application directly to Holly Choi at email@example.com by January 20, 2017.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Due to the large volume of applications we receive, only those shortlisted will be contacted for an interview.
Director of Human Resources & Organizational Development